The Zeiss Axio Scope.A1 is an optical microscope that can be used with both reflected and transmitted light. It is a highly flexible setup specifically intended for biological samples. The microscope can be used with large samples (up to 110mm wide and 380mm high!). The setup has filters for:
* Bright field (BF): illumination from below
* Epi bright field (Epi BF): illumination from above
* Dark field (DF): only observing light scattered by the specimen
* Fluorescence with up to three dyes:
– Fs 49: excitation at 365nm (105nm bandpass width)
– Fs 38: excitation at 470nm (40nm bandpass width)
– Fs 20: excitation at 546nm (12nm bandpass width)
* Differential interference contrast (DIC): relief contrast for unstained samples
The microscope has three interchangeable light sources:
* 2x Halogen lamps for both transmitted and reflected light
* A HXP 120W mercury arc lamp for fluorescence excitation
The objective lenses installed are:
* 10x and 20x N-ACHROPLAN inexpensive all-round objectives with good chromatic correction and planarity.
* 5x and 20x EC Plan-NEOFLUAR and 40x LD Plan-NEOFLUAR high-resolution objectives for high contrast and high transmission.
* 63x Acroplan oil immersion objective
Images can be captured on the connected computer using the AxioCam MRc firewire camera (1388×1040 pixel sensor) mounted on top of the microscope.